Tips to keep your pet calm and happy for the spooky season
As you know, pets love comfort and are creatures of habit. This means they do not like any changes to their territory! The best thing you can do to help is to be as consistent as possible, though we know that with halloween & Bonfire Night this can prove tough to achieve.
To get your pet through an anxious period, we recommend the following:.
• Always provide clean fresh water, and ensure their food and water is always in the same spot.
• Keep your cat’s litter tray as clean and fresh as possible, whilst being on alert for any indication your dog needs the toilet, and taking then straight outside.
• Provide a comfortable bed that your pet loves to curl up in – if they’re a bit reluctant to give it a go, try putting in a worn t-shirt of your own, the smell of you comforts them – and is why dogs especially are always so keen to steal your socks!
• As natural ‘den’ creatures, cats and dogs would have sought out caves in the wild, creating a retreat for themselves. Provide your pet with an area that’s specifically for them to go to when they’re feeling nervous or vulnerable. If you crate your dog, adding a cover to create a cosy shelter can be ideal (remember this is a safe place, never to be used as a punishment), meanwhile cats often like high up areas, lay blankets on top of their favourite wardrobe or cupboard spot. Read this post on how to create a den for your pet.
• It’s essential to provide stimuli for your pet. Cats need to have toys and a scratching post, you can view our range of cat toys and cat scratching posts here. Dogs are easily bored and are very prone to separation anxiety (as are we if ever separated from our gorgeous pets!) so boredom busting toys are essential. The KONG Classic can provide hours of entertainment. For a teething puppy, ensure plenty of tough chew toys are available.
• One of the best solutions to ease pet anxiety is to use pet calming products, specifically designed to make them feel safe, comforted and calm. The Feliway Diffuser and Spray use simple and effective pheromone therapy to help you manage your cat’s anxiety levels. The diffuser gives off a special scent (odourless to people and other animals) which is a replication of the pheromone that cats leave naturally when they are feeling comfortable in their environment. Every time a cat rubs its nose against objects in the home (or you!), it leaves behind this pheromone, so it’s extremely soothing to them. Similarly for dogs, the Adaptil Diffuser, Adaptil Collar and the Adaptil Spray use a replication of the pheromone that mother dogs naturally emit to their puppies just after birth, to comfort them and reinforce the attachment between the mother and her offspring.
It’s particularly important at this time of the year to look out for any symptoms of distress from your pet, as the party season is upon us! Ensure that your pets are calm and happy throughout Christmas and the New Year with this helpful guide.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below.