How to prepare my pets for Christmas and New Year's Eve
The loud noises from parties, crowded houses and fireworks can cause upset and anxiety for our pets, but with advance preparation, we can ensure a far happier time.
Here are our top tips for calm and contented pets during the party season:
1. A whopping 80% of pets are scared of fireworks! Yet, research shows that dog & cat pheromones, such as Feliway and Adaptil, can help stressful and challenging situations. Start using as early as possible to ensure you give your pet the best advantage as we head towards New Year’s Eve. You can use the range all year round if you have a particularly anxious pet. If you don’t fancy using a spray or diffuser, Zylkene is a great alternative and is a naturally derived product that helps your cat or dog to cope with stressful situations. Made from cow’s milk, it is a prescription free medication, doesn’t contain lactose and is completely hypoallergenic. You can just sprinkle the capsule over your pet’s food!
2. Give your pet plenty of exercise before the crowds arrive, to help them feel relaxed. If there are fireworks, this will also help prevent the need for your dog to go outside during the loud display.
3. Build a den or prepare a safe area for your pet so they feel protected, secure and settled. It’s important not to make a fuss out of them or too much commotion, as your pet will sense your anxiety and upset. The Trixie Arlo Cat Scratcher House is the perfect bed to help Mog feel safe, cosy and warm, and it doubles up as a cat scratcher! Dog crates are ideal for creating dens but if you know your dog won’t enjoy being in a crate you could try the Charley Chau Luxury Snuggle Dog Bed, it was created for dogs that love to sneak under blankets.
4. Keep pets indoors during fireworks, or upstairs away from crowded and noisy gatherings. Invest in a new cat flap or offer treats to temp cats to stay indoors (and for good behaviour of course!). The Sureflap Microchip Pet Door Connect allows you to lock your cat flap remotely from the Sure Petcare app, you can also set curfews to keep them in after a certain time. For rewarding your dog and keeping them calm at the same time, try Pooch & Mutt Natural Dog Treats. These are designed to calm and relax your dog, made from lamb, chamomile and I-tryptophan. I-tryptophan, which is essential to form serotonin, the ‘feel good’ neurotransmitter, hooray!
5. If guests are coming over that aren’t used to handling pets, or are bringing small children, have a chat with them first about how best to behave around your pets, to ensure that your cat or dog won’t be mishandled or accidentally stressed by a young child trying to play with them.
If you have any additional tips that work for you to keep your pets calm and happy for the party season, please share in the comments below and help out our other pet pals! Shop the full pet calming range, here.