Preparing your cat for a stay at the cattery
Cats are not big travel fans. This isn’t helped by the fact that whenever they are put into the car they are usually either going to the cattery or the vets!
Zylkène is a complementary feed for cats and dogs which contains a natural product, derived from casein, a protein in milk. It is a molecule well known to promote the relaxation of newborns after breastfeeding. Launched in April 2008, Zylkène has become a familiar product for veterinary surgeons, behaviourists, nurses and pet owners for use in helping pets cope when facing unusual and unpredictable situations or before occasions such as a change in their normal environment. Here are Zylkène’s top tips for keeping your cat calm for their stay in the cattery.
1. Pick a cattery close to your home, this cuts down the travel time and avoids your cat having to cope with this challenge for a long period of time.
2. Visit potential catteries before picking one. You will enjoy your holiday much more if you feel happy with the facilities where you are leaving your cat.
3. Take familiar things with you. Leaving them with their bed and toys will help them feel at home.
4. Is your cat on medication? Check that they can accommodate your cat’s needs to reassure you that they will receive the best care.
5. Give them Zylkène. This will help your cat cope with the changes ahead. Ensure you start administration at least 2-3 days before they go and carry on until they are back into their usual routine. Remember to tell the cattery they are taking Zylkène.
6. Be relaxed! When you leave be cheerful and matter-of-fact rather than consoling to avoid worrying them.