It’s spring – which means it’s time to start thinking about shedding. Whether they’re short or long haired, most breeds of dog shed to some extent – and when they do, it can leave your house looking more furry than fabulous! So here are our top 10 tips for a hair-free home…
1. Routine grooming is key to keeping your dog – and home – looking as fresh as a daisy! Dead coat is the term used to describe the layer of hair which is not attached to your dog’s skin – regular brushing (ideally once a day) will remove this layer, leaving less hair to fall and settle on your sofa! There are many different brushes on the market, designed to suit different coats. Invest in a good one like the Ancol Ergo Universal Dog Slicker for an extra smooth and shiny mane!
2. If your dog is an extra-heavy shedder and a brush isn’t enough, the Furminator is a brilliant vet-recommended tool, designed to help reduce shedding by up to 90%. Available to suit short and long haired small, medium, large and giant breeds.
3. A regular pre-grooming scrub with a good shampoo will help to loosen your dog’s dead coat and this will make it easier to brush away later – 8 in 1 Calming Oatmeal Dog Shampoo gently moisturises while strengthening your dog’s skin and coat. If your dog’s not a bath fan, try Johnsons Dry Foam Shampoo – the pleasantly perfumed foam cleanses your dog’s coat without the use of water
4. Afterwards, let your pooch snuggle up in the Furminator Fur Dry Dog Towel – the perfect post-bath cover-up!
5. Furry furniture can be so frustrating! We’d suggest investing in a good dog bed – if your pooch has his own perfect spot for lounging in, he won’t need to steal yours!
6. If you’ve tried with all your might to keep Rover off the sofa but he remains adamant that it’s HIS territory, choose a sofa that’s made from a wipe clean fabric, cover it with a protective throw or…
7. Try the CarPET Pet Hair Remover. The rubber prongs lift, gather and remove pet hair instantly, and because it’s durable and easy to clean, it can be used over and over again.
8. The Ergo Lint Roller is another must have for owners of hairy dogs! It’s a handy and easy to use tool which will remove hair from clothes and furniture when all else fails!
9. Rest assured, shedding is a completely natural process throughout a dog’s lifetime, but if you’re worried that your pooch is shedding excessively, reconsider their diet. A diet rich in Omega 3, Omega 6 and Vitamin A and E will promote a healthy coat – the Fish4Dogs range is a great place to start.
10. Regular trips to the vet will help to prevent any illnesses which could affect your dog’s precious coat. They’ll also be able to answer any questions you may have.
Do you have any tips for a fur-free home? Share them with us in the comments below!